Spéos is a private higher education course. For 35 years, Spéos has been a point of reference in the photography profession and the leader of higher education in professional photography in France.
Spéos is also recognized internationally and ranked in the Top 5 best photo schools in the world for several years by different, independent rankings:
- Resource mag online
- Superprof magazine
- Nonstop signs and graphics
- Cultura fotografica
- Expert Photography
- 1985: year of foundation
- Campuses: Paris, Biarritz and London
- 4,000 professional photographers in more than 50 countries
- 35 nationalities (including India, China, USA, Russia, Korea, Latin America, Middle East, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland …)
- 150 students in 2016-2017
- 18 studio sets in Spéos Paris and 3 studio sets in Spéos London
- Spéos diplomas are recognized by the French State with the Title of Photographer RNCP level I and the school has received numerous accreditations.
- The international and multicultural aspect of the school lies at the heart of Spéos. Spéos is the only school to offer courses in English since its creation in 1985 – which is a first for France!
- Spéos offers courses in English and French, in Paris and London, with a wide choice of programs in 5 months in Paris or in London and programs in 1 year or 2 years.
Spéos is the only photo school to offer unique and exclusive specialized programs with prestigious partners:
- Creative Documentary and Photojournalism with Magnum Photos, the famous photographers’ agency created, among others, by Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Capa.
- Photojournalism with Polka, a magazine specialized in photography and reporting.
- Sports photography with INSEP, the French National Institute of Sport, Expertise and Performance, which trains French top athletes.
- Students and Alumni regularly win awards and some are recognized worldwide.
- Spéos supports young graduate photographers through: the photo gallery dedicated to Alumni, loaned studio use, referencing in the online directory.
- Spéos Photo School is also very concerned with ongoing research and in preserving a very significant French National Heritage site since 1999: The Nicéphore Niépce House Museum.
This is the location where the very first photograph in the world was taken by the true inventor of photography, Nicéphore Niépce, some years before Daguerre and Fox Talbot. The Museum was awarded the prestigious label “Maison des Illustres” by the French Ministry of Culture in 2013, with sponsorship of the Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Fine Arts.
- Correspondence of Nicéphore Niépce, the inventor of photography, is compiled in a book of 1,600 pages written by a descendant of Niépce and a researcher of the CNRS. This book is fully available online (in French only).
- Spéos continues to invest in research into Nicéphore Niépce’s inventions.
- For over 20 years Spéos has been part of the Voies Off festival in Arles.
- Spéos regularly hosts photo events within its facilities, notably for the past 4 years with Fotofest Paris, the world’s second biggest photo festival after Arles.
- The school regularly participates in other events: International Festival of Photojournalism Visa pour l’image in Perpignan, International Photo Fair of Bièvres …