This workshop aims at acquiring skills and knowledge on how to photograph landscapes and to master the long exposure techniques. Starting with a theoretical introduction, the participants will practice every day in small groups on location. Images made during the day will be analyzed at night to define personal improvement objectives for the next day. Last but not least, participants will be able to discover the richness and beauty of the lights and landscapes of Biarritz and the Spanish Basque Country.
Next sessions: 29th of May-2nd of June, 2023 ; 5-9 June, 2023 Campus: Biarritz (South-West of France) Language of instruction: English, French Tuition: €3,500 (accommodation and meals in the premises of Spéos Biarritz included) Logistic information: please contact Spéos
Day 1 Arrival of participants on site.
Starting at 2pm, theoretical training to begin: theory on landscape photography, point of view, composition, depth of field applied to landscapes, examples of long exposure photos, impact on exposure time, appropriate subjects, necessary equipment (ND filters, tripod, remote control), 10-step shooting sequence, post-production process specific to long exposure images.
Days 2-3-4 In the morning, practice of landscape and long exposure photography in a venue near Biarritz. Application of the 10-step shooting sequence.
In the afternoon, practice of landscape and long exposure photography in a new venue near Biarritz and the Spanish Basque Country. Application of the 10-step shooting sequence.
Analysis of the photos made during the day.
Day 5 Between 9am and 11am, practice of landscape and long exposure photography in a new venue near Biarritz.
11am-12pm: overall debriefing. Lunch. End of the workshop at around 2pm.
Participants should ideally bring the following equipment:
– A SLR or mirrorless camera with B (bulb) mode
– A wide-angle zoom (16-35 mm or similar) and/or a trans-standard zoom (24-70 mm or similar)
– An ultra-zoom 70-200 mm (or similar)
– A 10 stop ND filter (ND 1000) and if possible a 12 or 13 stop ND filter: circular or rectangular with filter-holder. Do not buy a variable ND filter (quality problem). For those who do not have any ND filter, we recommend to buy the Nisi kit (4 filters : 3-6-10 et 15 stops)
– A wireless or wired remote control
– A sturdy tripod
– 2 to 3 batteries
– 2 to 3 optical cloths
– 2 to 3 memory cards
– A robust photo bag
– A laptop with Lightroom and/or Photoshop
– A USB stick
– A smartphone (with an application for calculating exposure times and possible triggering on the smartphone)
– Semi-warm clothing, rain jacket, hiking shoes