The Professional Photography Fundamentals program is a lighter version of the Spéos program and covers a duration of 5 months. This program takes place once a year in Paris, with intake in January. This program is aimed for students who wish to study professional photography in a very rapid and intensive way.
The Professional Photography Basics program aims to acquire the fundamentals of studio shooting and photo-reportage. It gives an overview of the skills to master to become a professional photographer.
The credits acquired during this program allow students wishing to become professionals to continue their studies at Spéos by integrating the second part of the following 2-year programs:
– Professional photography,
– Title of photographer RNCP level I,
– European Master of Photography.
Next session: January-June 2021
Language of instruction: English, French
– France, UK, EU nationals: €8,250 / £7,400
– International students: €10,250 / £9,100
This course is dedicated to the acquisition of the techniques essential to studio shooting, as well as to the treatment of digital images. Students are initiated to the Stop-System, different types of lighting, the general principles of balanced light sources, as well as different types of cameras, from 35mm to the large format.
An introduction to the “Style and Composition” class will initiate the students to the notions of style and composition in professional photography.
This course deals with a variety of purely practical aspects of photographical techniques.
The course is designed to give an overview of photo reportage, focusing on three main areas – place, event and theme. Assignments include the coverage of events in Paris and a long-term documentary project on a local neighborhood.
In line with the acquisition of studio shooting techniques, this coursegives participants an overview of the different digital post-production techniques allowing them to process and enhance their images. It aims to:
- understand what the main parameters and formats of digital images are,
- learn how to process Raw files in a professional way with Adobe Lightroom Classic CC development tool,
- Deepen the participants post-production skills with Adobe Photoshop CC: non-destructive work flow through adjustment layers, knowledge of layer masks and selections, basic retouch.
Firstly this course will help photographers to manage their image stock with guidance on how to caption a picture, to assign the right key-words, to fill in the IPTC data. All of these are essential for any photographer to locate their pictures and to have them published. Then the course will cover the following topics:
- add value to a photo stock with a good knowledge of captioning and keyword management,
- find sources of information for photographers,
- know the photo market,
- develop your visibility on the internet, design an online portfolio, know how to use social network for photographers.
Combining lectures with visits to museums and galleries, this course aims at giving an overview of the history of photography and the constantly evolving photographic processes, from their origins to the present trends of contemporary photography. Emphasis is placed on the analysis of real prints rather than reproductions, taking advantage of the rich photographic resources available in the local museums and galleries.
Possibility of creating discovery sessions of analog photography with film developments and Black & White prints in the Spéos laboratory. The school has one of the largest labs in Paris still in activity. Students will be introduced to the Stop System, a method developed by Spéos that allows to quickly take control of prints and masks.
These sessions will take place at the end of the year only, once students have acquired all the essential knowledge and techniques of professional photography.
Enrollment and contact
Registrations are open all year round and are subject to availability.
You can send your application via the online Enrollment form.
Feel free to contact Spéos if you have any questions about this program:
- Telephone: +33 (0)1 40 09 18 58
- Email: info[@]speos.fr
- Skype: speos-admissions01
At any time you are most welcome to come and visit the school, just make an appointment!