Magnum London and Spéos London create a program in Creative Documentary and Photojournalism.
This 22-week intensive program takes place once a year in London, with intake in September.
This program is designed for students who wish to acquire the fundamentals of documentary photography and/or photojournalism, in the Magnum Photos tradition of visual storytelling. It gives an overview of the skills to master to become a professional photographer.
The formal program is delivered by Spéos and its appointed teachers in Spéos London and supplemented by Magnum photographers and staff. Students have unique access to Magnum London’s photographers and its experienced staff.
The credits acquired during this program allow students wishing to become professionals to continue their studies at Spéos by integrating the second part of the following 1-year or 2-year programs:
– Professional photography,
– Title of photographer RNCP level I,
– European Master of Photography.
Please contact Spéos for more details.
Next session: September 2020
Language of instruction: English
– France, UK, EU nationals: €11,000 / £9,750
– International students: €13,375 / £11,850
Diploma: School Certificate signed by Spéos and Magnum Photos
Important information regarding visas for the UK:
> See the list of countries whose nationals do not need a visa to study in the United Kingdom (PDF)
This course is dedicated to the acquisition of the techniques essential to studio shooting, as well as to the treatment of digital images. Students are initiated to the Stop-System, different types of lighting, the general principles of balanced light sources, as well as different types of cameras, from 35mm to the large format.
The course is designed to give an overview of photojournalism, focusing on 3 main areas – place, event and theme. Assignments include the coverage of events in London and a long-term documentary project on a local neighborhood.
The tutoring done by Magnum Photos London will cover 3 main areas:
- Discover and understand the daily activities of a professional photo agency in general and Magnum Photos in particular. How does the world’s most famous photographic co-operative work today? What is the role of agents, and of a press agency today? How does a historic agency stay relevant?
- Visual identity: this course aims at encouraging students to develop their own ideas and concepts and turn them into “photographic realities”. It provides them with the critical tools to discuss and analyze their own photos as well as those of their fellow students, so as to give constructive criticism using the basic rules of composition and their own sense of aesthetics. Students are able to understand how an image is constructed, how to present it in a more efficient way, how to develop a certain photographic coherence and their own “visual signature”.
- Storytelling: an introduction to writing techniques and photo editing will be given by a journalist/editor, helping the students to edit their photo stories and back-up their reportages with a well-structured narrative. Key concepts:
– Understand the different steps of a photo reportage from the idea of a topic to the final publication in a magazine
– Learn how to tell a story with images: they show, inform or provide evidence
– Write a synopsis or narrative to accompany the photo story.
Combining lectures with visits to museums and galleries, this course aims at giving an overview of the history of photography and the constantly evolving photographic processes, from their origins to the present day. Emphasis is placed on the analysis of real prints rather than reproductions, taking advantage of the rich photographic resources available in the local museums and galleries.
In this workshop, participants will have an overview of Adobe Lightroom. They will learn the basics of working through their images from import, to rating, sorting and organizing, to processing, and finally all the way to export and sharing on the web.
Enrollment and contact
Registrations are open all year round and are subject to availability.
You can send your application via the online Enrollment form.
Feel free to contact Spéos if you have any questions about this program:
- Telephone: +33 (0)1 40 09 18 58
- Email: info[@]speos.fr
- Skype: speos-admissions01
At any time you are most welcome to come and visit the school, just make an appointment!Enroll now!